On the morning of March 17, 2010, Jason, Hannah and I got up and went to my clinic for our "Overseas Screening" doctor's appointments. After we (mostly) got the all clear, we went downstairs for my 38 week appointment. The nurse said I was dilating and having contractions, but wouldn't send me to the hospital. (Looking back now, I should have gone anyway!) So, I sent them home and I went back to work. I was still having contractions every 30 minutes or so, and the boss sent me home. I didn't stay at home though. It was a Wednesday and that meant only one thing - double dollar coupons at Farm Fresh! Yup, I went grocery shopping. I had a few contractions while I was there, but nothing I couldn't handle. If I remember right, Jason, Hannah and I even went shopping together later that night too.
Around 4 or 5, I started writing down my contractions. They were coming about every 9-10 minutes and lasting for about 30 seconds. Occasionally I would get excited, but then the next one would come 25 minutes later. I didn't know what was going on! My nurse did a HORRIBLE job telling me when I needed to go in ("When you are ready"), so I Googled it! Since my contractions weren't my definition of consistent, I thought I still had time. I honestly don't know what was going through my head, but I never had to labor at home before (see Hannah's Birth Story) and I was afraid that I wouldn't be close enough and the hospital would send me home so I kept waiting. Finally, around 9:00, I called Julie. We had previously arranged with our wonderful friend, Julie Albritton, that I could call her when we went to the hospital so she could watch Hannah. After I hung up the phone, I realized I was in trouble. I had 3 contractions while on the phone with her and the phone said it was a 6 minute conversation! She got to the house around 9:30 and we were on our way.
If you have ever lived in the Portsmouth area, you know what I mean when I say "tunnel traffic." Well, it was worse than that. They were doing maintenance or construction on 1 side of the downtown tunnel and had it blocked down to 1 lane!!! The contractions became really painful now and I was feeling the need to push - in the car! I told Jason and he got really nervous. He turned the flashers on and proceeded to drive on the shoulder or anywhere else he could to get us closer to the hospital. We got there and hurried as fast as we could up to the 4th floor - Labor & Delivery. We got there at 10:30.
I was in a lot of pain when we got there, so all I did was scream, cry, whimper and moan. Jason was harassing every person that came into the room about when I could get pain medication, but there was always an excuse. When they were wheeling me into the delivery room and my nurse told me that I was too far to get an epidural, I started weeping uncontrollably. The next hour was a blur. (I will say now this was NOT my finest hour - or even close to it). I did a LOT of crying and screaming through the pain - which I don't recommend to other women, by the way. Around 11:00, an angel (the anesthesiologist) came in with papers for me to sign. I was thrilled and couldn't wait. Unfortunately twenty minutes later they said that Brian's heart rate was dropping and he needed to come out NOW! Six minutes later at 11:33 pm, Brian Thomas Uphoff was born - naturally.
He weighed 7 pounds, 8 ounces. He had to spend his first hour under warming lights to bring his temperature up. He had a full head of dark hair and is named after his 2 loving grandfathers. He is my (other) Prince Charming.
dang - I thought he was born on the 17th!! ;-)
ReplyDeleteLovely story - I guess I didn't realize all of that. I do remember the phone call still - and our first meeting of Brian Thomas. He's a wonderful little boy.
Ahh, what a fun birth story to share with him someday! "You were ALMOST born in the Portsmouth/Norfolk tunnel!!" LOL! So I take it if you go for a 3rd, you won't be PLANNING to go natural again, huh?
ReplyDeleteI hope I never have to go like that- honestly the epidural just makes it so much better to actually enjoy the experience, at least for me, I know some women find the natural method empowering, but that is so NOT for me! :)
Mom, thanks for catching the date was wrong! (I have since changed it.) That's what I get for writing it late at night.
ReplyDeleteCrystal, yeah, the epidural was the plan the whole time and I would not choose natural again - there is nothing "natural" about it! IF there is a 3rd, I will go to the hospital when contractions are 30 min apart!
It was fun to hear the birth stories of your babies. The way you told Jason both times was so sweet and creative. Sounds like Hannah's birth was like a walk in the park compared to Brian's for you. If we end up having a baby here in Chinle, I might not have access to an epidural! Yikes!
ReplyDeleteJennifer, yes, Hannah's was actually enjoyable! I am almost half-tempted to have another baby, just so that I can have a better birth story, like Hannah's. About the epidural, I think if I would have been prepared with breathing techniques or something, things wouldn't have been so horrible. My sister-in-law had her 2nd one without pain meds and she did great. I think if I would have taken some classes or had any idea what to do, except for screaming, it would have gone better - still not the way I would want, but not horrible.
ReplyDelete